All about the Wizard
The Virginia Education Wizard was created to help you understand more about yourself and find out how to achieve your goals. Through career assessments, college and career advice, and tools to help you plan each step of the way, the Wizard will help you focus on your next step. Created in 2009, the Wizard has undergone several enhancements, with the latest completed in January 2016. Welcome to the Virginia Education Wizard!
HERE ARE OUR MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1) How do I reset my password (or a student password)? Answer:
If you are a student, click the "Forgot Password" link under Login. Reset your password, log out of the Wizard, and then login again with your new password.
If you're a MyVCCS user, you must go to MY VCCS to reset your Wizard password. Wait 10 minutes, and then login to the Wizard again with your new password.
If you are a counselor/coach/advisor trying to reset a student password (or a group of students) you can do this through your Admin panel. For help, please contact us.
2) A student isn't showing up in the Wizard. What do I do? Answer: 1) Ensure that the student has been properly enrolled in your school using your data management system for the grade level needed. If you've confirmed this, look for the student by searching by their name and checking the "does not have Wizard account" box on the administrator panel. If the student does not show up at all, please contact us so that we can investigate.
3) How do I set up a counselor/coach at my school to be able to see their students? Answer: If you are the district or division administrator, we will email you step by step instructions for how to set up counselors. Please contact us.
4) We need training on the new Wizard. When are you available? Answer: We are pleased to be able to train groups and individuals throughout Virginia, including K12 and Community College staff, counselors, and coaches. Please contact Dr. Chris Pfautz to request training tailored to your needs.
YOU CAN FIND MORE FAQ'S HERE
FINDING YOUR PATH
Interested in a certification, degree program, or a career that requires little retraining? Deciding the pathway will help you learn the steps to achieve your goal.
Thinking about an industry credential? Maybe a 2 year or 4 year degree is right for you. Perhaps you just want to get started toward building your career. Make a plan! Take the career assessments, find an occupation that works for you, and plan your next steps with the help of the Wizard.
Here are some questions to ask yourself:
1) How much time do I have to invest in my education?
2) How much education or training will I need to get the job I want to have?
3) How much money do I need to make per year to have the lifestyle I want?
4) What's my next step?
THE TEAM BEHIND THE WIZARD
The State Council of Higher Education in Virginia provides many helpful resources for students and parents and has been integral in supporting the Wizard since its inception throughout Virginia.
The Virginia Department of Education provides the Wizard throughout Virginia in order to support K-12 teachers, counselors, and coaches in assisting students with career planning, assessments, and goal setting.
Assessments and occupational profile details are provided by O*Net. Assessments were found to be statistically reliable and valid, and O*NET information is available for over 900 occupations.
Imagine is a lifestyle budgeting game based off of Texas Reality Check and modified for students throughout Virginia to help them "Imagine" the life they desire and link them to careers that match.
Peterson's provides updated college data for every 4 year university in the United States on a quarterly basis. This data can be found using the college search tool (hyperlink) https://www.vawizard.org/wizard/college-search
Chris Pfautz, Director, and Rachel Angel, Coordinator make up the Wizard team with help from our IT staff. Our goal is to answer your questions and help you use the Wizard in the way that works best for you! With a combined 30+ years of classroom, counseling/coaching, and higher education experience, we understand that having personal connections helps everyone involved. If you have feedback, questions, concerns, or want to schedule a training with students or staff, please let us know!